Winter is here !
- Insulate your home: install storm windows or cover windows with plastic from the inside to provide insulation.
- Have sufficient heating fuel because regular sources may be cut off. Have emergency heating equipment and fuel.
- Never run a generator inside a home or garage to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Always keep running generators in an open and ventilated area. Plug all necessary appliances directly into the generator.
- To keep pipes from freezing, wrap them in insulation, and allow a small stream of water to run from faucets.
- To maintain refrigerated and frozen foods during a power outage, open the doors to those appliances as little as possible.
- Build an “emergency supply kit” (water, food, medications, flashlight, batteries, etc.)
- Winterize your vehicle and keep the gas tank full (to keep the fuel line from freezing).
- Keep a car charger for your cell phone in your vehicle.
- Unplug all other appliances and leave only one light switched on. There is an added risk of power surges occurring that can damage anything plugged in.
- Trim tree branches in your yard before the storm season begins in your area.